Select Page

When we stand in the middle of the battleground

by | Aug 28, 2020 | Faith journey, Friendship, Motherhood | 14 comments

Yesterday I suddenly had an epiphany — the good old normal days, as we knew them, probably will never come back.  Then the sadness overcame me.

And we don’t even know when those old days slipped away.

A pandemic that was eventually going to end, right?

But then the very fiber of our social existence seemed to unravel right in front of our eyes.

So many noises, contradictory information, and hard judgments are making my mind a broken radio.

Five months ago, I worried about which sports we should let the kids play next semester, whether we should move closer to the school, and where our next family vacation would be. — I didn’t appreciate those days enough, because I always thought the better days would be ahead.

Now it’s almost like choosing between life and death.

Send them to school, don’t send them to school.

Sign up for sports, don’t sign up for sports.

Go out to eat as a family or continue to stay home for every meal.

Regardless of your choice, there will be condescending voices coming down on you.

So, where can I turn?

I looked back in the history of my own bloodline — talking about really, really hard times?  My mom and my grandma’s generations had it hard.

The Great Leap Forward in the 50’s China brought starvation and death to millions of people.  Because of malnutrition, my grandma had swollen fingers. She used those fingers to tend her family while being pregnant with my mom’s younger sister.

The Cultural Revolution ruined my mom’s entire generation; there was no school because everyone was too busy destroying everything that had traditional value, and fighting against the other social class.

Being a poor Irish immigrant family, my husband’s parents and grandparents went through some hard, hard times as well.

So where does that leave us.

There is God; all good things are from Him.

And there is the devil, whose only goal is to lie, cheat, steal, and destroy.

And this world is on the devil’s plate.

You see, there is a spiritual battle every generation has to face; our current troubles seems like nothing compared to the suffering of the generations before us.  But still, I believe we are experiencing an epic battle for the souls of our generation right now.

So, the only way left is looking up.

There is One who has seen it all, who I often forget is still in control.

And whose love and mercy I often take for granted.

Someone said: when we count those shooting arrows coming toward us from the enemy, think about how many more of them God has blocked for you.

Yes, think of that!

I am still protected.

I am still provided for.

I am still cared for.

I am still loved.

By choosing to work hard, live with integrity, and hold on to traditional values, the generations before us persevered.

We have so many blessings in our hands, shouldn’t we come out victorious too?

Listen to what David had to say before his balltle with Goliath:  “The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.”

Indeed God was there with him. And He is here with us too.

Dear heavenly Father, may I think of Your goodness and mercy often so that I can put on the full armor of You, then I can stand firm in this age-old battleground.

In Jesus name, Amen

For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12

Question for you:

• What kind of battle are you facing right now?
  • How are you coping with it?

Sent from my iPad

14 Comments

1. Vanessa

This is great encouragement! Thank you for sharing! It is a hard time knowing what to do with so many conflicting messages. I am thankful God is on his thrown and in control.

• Ying McLane

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Yes God is still in control!

2. Becky Seville

This is a fantastic reminder! My battleground right now is control. So much is out of my hands, and I have only recently come to recognize that even my husband’s frustration with his job is NOT mine to carry…it’s God’s. I can pray and lift my husband to him, even though I like to take the burden of trying in my own strength to help. God has this, He knows how tired Nick is, and HE alone can give him rest. I can gently remind him of this and also remind myself that the Lord is SO much better at handling hard things than I am.

• Ying McLane

Love the way you put your burden and your trust in the Lord! I sometimes feel God gives us a hard time just because He wants us to be close to Him, and to show us that He is the only one that we can lean on. The control issue is something I am continually dealing with as well, and I need a daily reminder of His promise to us. Thanks for sharing!

3. Ashley Pagels

Today I woke up looking forward to your post. Yesterday my life mirrored your post so effortlessly without realization until the end of the day while I was a crying mess hiding in my bathroom from my almost 3 year old. Today I find your post making yesterday, while a learning step in my journey on this motherhood path, so small in the grand scheme of this battleground we are ALL on, mother or not.

The battle I am facing right now is reality versus finances. With Scott just now getting a new job and us TRYING to catch up on the finances of the last 2 ½ months, I am struggling to find a positive mindset some days which can lead to my easily frustrated reactions to such a tiny human.

My way of coping is finding the joy and innocents in his laughter and smiles. I am striving for more of that each day. He is is oblivious to struggles and evil in the world and I find peace in that.

Thank you for your post.

• Ying McLane

I am so glad to know that my writing speaks to the emotion you are having, that gives a writer great satisfaction! Sorry for your struggle; hopefully, God will see you and your family through this stage very soon. And that is an excellent way of coping; I really enjoy my kids’ innocence at this stage, sometimes I wish I can be that carefree and fun too!!

4. Jessica S.

I think my biggest battle right now is an internal one. Constantly wondering if I’m making the right decisions with all of the hard decisions we’re making right now- school, etc.

• Ying McLane

I have always reluctant to make divisions, but time like this is especially hard! I hope a lot of prayers will help us ease our anxiety. ❤️

5. Lainey klos

Thank you so much I love reading your posts they’re very encouraging.
    Our battle ground can look different each and every day. Battling thoughts of being overwhelmed or the unknown is probably the biggest thing. The way that I’m coping with it is understanding that I am not in control of a lot of what is going on in my brain with overwhelming thoughts to release it and give it to the hands of God .Just like David did he relied on God to go before him so we have to believe and know that God will do the same for us. Even better he left the Holy Spirit lives within us. Do everything you can in the physical and remember that God takes care of the spiritual but we have to rest in him and know the truth of his word and walk in it . God fights the battles we cannot see. So walk by faith and not by sight.

• Ying McLane

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I totally agree that the only way to battle anxiety and fear is to build up our confidence in the hands of the Almighty. Take every thought captive, it is hard, but we can do better each every day.

6. Jessica Crowley

So happy I took the time to read this. It is absolutely true that it is a spiritual battle! With all the craziness and distractions it is so easy to overlook to power we have through Jesus and remember He is on our side and wants what is best for all of us. Thank you Jesus!

• Ying McLane

Yes, hold on to the truth, and when we get to the other side, we will feel closer to Him, and the victory will be much sweeter! Thanks for reading my post! ❤️

7. Allison Barberio

I’m struggling with all the unknowns of the future. To try to cope with that I try to keep looking up and not at all of the chaos going on in the world. Our hearts are restless until they rest in Him. One step, one day at a time. Thank you for a beautiful reminder!

• Ying McLane

Yes, when I look up to Him instead of looking around my messy life, my heart is so much more peaceful! Thanks for sharing, Allison!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Inspiration From Instagram

To see the Instagram feed you need to add your own API Token to the Instagram Options page of our plugin.
Oops, something is wrong. Instagram feed not loaded